Subscribe to DSC Newsletter

Why did you like it better than other courses? In my case, I really liked stochastic geometry. It was quite theoretical, e.g. estimating the value of Pi by throwing a needle in a rectangular grid and counting how many times the needle hit one of the lines in the grid. But it had some nice applications too. One of the problems (known as the third Grenander Problem or Exterior/Interior Problem) consisted of estimating the shape of an oil field: about 20 oil wells had been digged, and we knew which ones had oil, which ones didn't. The only assumption was that the shape of the oil field was convex. We eventually developed a fast algorithm to compute a convex domain in any dimension (when dimension = 2 or 3, the problem is easy).

As you can imagine, the issue was trying to estimate the shape / extent of oil field with as few wells as possible, as digging wells outside the field is expensive.

Views: 2568

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Computer Graphics, watched a lot of 3D graphics movies and short films :-) and progamming 3D graphics is always fun especially on silicon graphics workstations. one of my instructors went on to win a couple of academy awards for special effects for creature dynamics for work on movies including the new star war movies at Industrial Lights and Magic.

In business school corporate finance is eye opening. Once you start thinking in terms of present values.. well you are a different person... for better or worse.. I am not sure which..
Its a toss up between Bioinformatics or Statistical Modeling.
Statistical consulting.

We got clients from the rest of the university to work with, and the classwork was talking with professors about case studies. I found out about logistic regression just in time to apply it to survey analysis our clients wanted.
For me, it was a course on Neural Network. It was very interesting for me to see both training and testing error rates on the same plot and observe the effect of overfitting.
Quantitative Genetics, Design of Experiments and Applied Regression analysis were fun for me in Illinois. In MBA, Quantitative Market Research and Investment Risk Analysis (Finance) were quite fun. Having the scientific and quantitative background helped me more than learning the material in MBA; I just enjoyed like never before and mentored lot of colleagues...
I loved the Quantitative Techniques classes. Marketing classes were also very interesting because of the professor and the Philip Kotler book!!!
Like Ajay, I really enjoyed a Quantitative Applications for Management class taken at HEC Mtl.

I also had a blast in Market Research and analysis and other marketing oriented courses. I really feel like I'm on a quest to better understanding individual attitude, the masses and how they correlate.

I once attended an International Markets Dynamics class which had a great impact on how I view the world. My daily attitude towards people, economies and the environment has been heavily influenced by this experience. We went over the few resources that fuel the world economies (automobile, wheat and other crops, petroleum, chemical, etc.) and looked at their impact and ran up the globalisation timeline to its origins.
Hi,I'm interested in geometry and I'm studying statistics now.
How can I start to learn about stochastic geometry?
Thank's alot.
Ali Amini.
I will have to say "Tools and Environments for Optimization". It covered optimization in practice using mathematical programming language GAMS. We got to look at some real world example instead of doing proof for algorithms.

I also like theoritical probability course using measure theory offered by Math department. Even though it has no use whatsoever in my job, but that course was very stimulating that made you think really hard and you got to do all kinds of proofs.
I remember really liking my Bayesian statistics course. I was really amazed to learn how peoples "opinions" of probabilities, given a lack of clear empirical evidence, could really influence decision making. Other than that, I remember taking an English lit. class on Folklore in which we analyzed the meanings and hidden messages contained within fairy tales, which I really liked.

-Ralph Winters
Game Thoery: It did help develop a nice structured and logical approach towards problems - extremely helpful in strategic thinking
Econometrics (both Theoretical and Applied) : It appealed because of it's ability to discern useful information from data
Quantitaive Market Research: So helpful in eliciting very useful but not obvious information from customers/potential customers. The methods and techniques have applicability wherever there will be some end-users distinct from the provider (of a service, goods etc.) - i.e., almost any situation we can imagine.
Investment and Risk Management: I find the theories and application really intriguing and the anlytical modeling aspects of risk intellectually stimulating, especially in the back-drop of what we've been seeing over last couple of years.
Computer music. I tried to complete Bach's last fugue using neural networks. Sounded a bit like jazz, but was great fun.

RSS

On Data Science Central

© 2019   AnalyticBridge.com is a subsidiary and dedicated channel of Data Science Central LLC   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service