Principal Scientist –Data Mining - 66220
Location: Mountain View, CA
After more than 20 years, Intuit continues to transform business and financial management for small and mid-sized businesses, corporate workgroups, consumers, and accounting professionals. The company is currently going through a fundamental transformation from a shrink-wrapped software company to one of the country's leading providers of web-based applications and solutions. Today Intuit sells more product online than major web retailers like BlueNile.com, Buy.com, BarnesandNoble.com, and CompUSA. The company has also been one of the front-runners in terms of Software-as-a-Service products: the online versions of its major applications, TurboTax Online and QuickBooks Online, have secured the loyalty of millions of paying customers and the company continues to explore new and innovate 'disruptive' web-based businesses (a la Clayton Christensen's "The Innovator's Dilemma").
The Principal Scientist -Data Mining will be part of the Advanced Data and Analytics team in the Business Intelligence and Optimization organization. He or she will apply data mining techniques to create actionable insights from a broad range of data, some of it on a large scale: behavior (clickstream, call center), transactions (sales), perceptions (surveys, usability), market research (including industry and competitive analysis), demographic (including financial and medical), SaaS product usage, customer support interactions, etc. The data may be quantitative or qualitative as well as either structured or unstructured. Real-time personalization will be one of the key applications. The recommended business actions should lead to measurable improvement in business outcomes including end-to-end customer experience as well as financial metrics.
- Define the overall data mining strategy for a portfolio of very different businesses that will enable us to continue to accelerate revenue growth over the next several years. This will require solving some fundamental and highly challenging issues in terms of where and how we use data mining; what tools and technologies we should deploy; and much more.
- Conduct world-class applied data mining to deliver on the strategy. This will include building out all of critical tools, processes, technologies, training, etc. that will be needed to ensure that the entire company is moving aggressively forward. A key challenge will be to build capabilities that can grow and expand to encompass not only traditional marketing and commerce web-sites but also future Software as a Service product offerings and an increasing portfolio of support, service, and community web-sites.
- Collaborate closely with marketing, product design, and customer support to understand their key challenges and drive improvements into their respective functions.
- Act as an industry thought leader to continue to build up awareness of Intuit as a front-runner web company across the broader web business community. This will involve speaking at industry events, sharing best-practices with other companies, building working relationships with key analytic experts, firms, and consultants, and more.
- Act as a core member of the Advanced Data and Analytics Team and help drive and resolve broader team and business issues around our general state of analytics excellence.
IDEAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
The below are some of the key experiences or qualifications that we would ideally like to see in the candidate. Of course, candidates with just a subset of these experiences/qualifications will be actively considered.
- Deep mastery of data mining-Candidate must have a deep mastery of a wide range of data mining techniques, tools, and methodologies with a demonstrated capability to apply this to a broad range of web and other data (transactions, perceptions, market data, etc.) including both structured and unstructured data. Data mining techniques include: clustering, classification, regression, decision trees, neural nets, support vector machines, genetic algorithms, anomaly detection, association rules, sequential pattern discovery, and text mining. Familiarity with one or more data mining and statistical packages such as SAS, SPSS, KXEN, S-PLUS and R.
- Outstanding analytic skills -This individual will need to demonstrate the highest level of analytic capability. And most importantly, the candidate must have a proven track record in making analysis actionable to improve business outcomes.
- High level database knowledge - Candidate must have a foundational knowledge of databases and database architectures so that he/she can extract relevant data from our data warehouse or other databases and collaborate closely with the data team.
- Strong algorithmic and programming skills-Ability to create and program new data mining algorithms as necessary to supplement external tools.
- M.S. degree in an appropriate technology field (computer science, statistics, math, operations research). Ph.D. degree in a quantitative or mathematically intensive field a plus.
Note: Our Hiring Manager is willing to consider re-scoping this role/title for a more senior candidate who would be a great addition to the team.
IDEAL PERSONAL PROFILE
- A reputation for unquestioned integrity and a highly developed sense of ethics.
- A passion for delivering great products and experiences to customers. Someone who thinks customer-in vs. technology-out.
- A focus on delivering business results including improved end-to-end customer experience and financial metrics like revenue and profit.
- High energy, confidence, and ambition--someone who can consistently perform at the highest level in an extremely fast paced, dynamic and high growth environment.
- Team player—great at collaborating with inter-disciplinary technology team, marketing, product design, customer support, and business executives.
- A crisp and passionate communicator with the ability to simplify, communicate, and sell his or her actional recommendations up, down, and across the organization.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills—someone who can be as effective through influence as through direct control.
- Candid, direct, and non-political.
- A passion for technology.
About Intuit Inc.
Intuit Inc. (NASDAQ: INTU) is a leading provider of business and financial management solutions for small and mid-sized businesses, consumers and accounting professionals. Our revenues in FY 2008 (ending 31st July 2008) should exceed $3B and reach over 25 million customers. The company has approximately 8,000 employees with major offices across the United States, and offices in Canada, the United Kingdom, and India. Fortune Magazine recognized Intuit as Americas Most Admired Software Company and one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For in 2007.
Our flagship products and services, including QuickBooks®, Quicken® and TurboTax® software, simplify small business management and payroll processing, personal finance, as well as tax preparation and filing. ProSeries® and Lacerte® are Intuit's leading tax preparation software suites for professional accountants. Intuit continues to expand and grow. With the acquisition of Digital Insight in 2007, we began creating the next generation of online banking. By combining our unique blend of customer-driven innovation and emerging technology, we're developing new ways to help banks and credit unions offer easier and simpler online financial services to their consumer and small business customers. Intuit's source of success is a thoughtful blending of intense customer focus and world-class engineering.
No matter where you find us, we remain committed to creating new and easier ways for consumers and businesses to tackle life's financial chores, giving them more time to live their lives and run their businesses. As our business and product lines grow beyond accounting and into new areas, we will build on our heritage of innovation. That's not just our history. It's our future.
Please apply via
so the Hiring Manager/recruiting team can view your information directly.