Subscribe to DSC Newsletter

Hello All,

I would like to know if you have any requirements templates to share for BI applications. I am starting a huge BI project and would lie to see if any of you have standard template documents to map analysis results.

Thank you in advance,
Marco

Tags: BI, templates

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Marco:

Any luck with this yet? I read "Competing on Analytics" and to me that more or less has it all: the template is to ask what the core analytical competency is that upper management wants to manage the company's operations with. Only if it is done as a company wide conviction will you have a manageable requirements process.

Theo
Theodore,

All requests regarding the company views and interests have been filled - I now need some background on how to effectively gather information requirements, specially if your company is a billion-dollar one... :-)
I need to compare previous experiences and check if I'm in the right path.

Any clues?

Thank you for replying,
Marco
Marco:

I have only experience on the product development side and the big difference is that my audience can program so having them change data generators or write data translators is a simple request. So that is the caveat. Now one answer:

The building of the data model is the hardest. We always have done it with a cross functional team that contains all the stakeholders, except the managers. The managers get proposals and look at it as a project with an ROI. What I like about that is that the managers don't derail the data gathering, but they do inject pragmatic trade-offs into the solution. I have always found it amazing how hard it is to get the data model right: it sound so simple from the outset but making it work can take 6 months. With that in mind, I now lean towards agile methods to develop the data model and try to iterate at least once a week. This way the hard stuff comes up real quick AND you get exposure to how the data model may change over time and therefore you get some insight in how you need to plan for that change.

Does this help you?
Theodore,
Thanks for the reply - it looks as if I'm in the right direction, as this(the approach you suggested) is the approach I am now taking.

Great relief, thank you!

Marco
Marco:

Feel free to drop me a line if you need a quick sounding board: I love this stuff! Good luck.

Theo

RSS

On Data Science Central

© 2019   AnalyticBridge.com is a subsidiary and dedicated channel of Data Science Central LLC   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service