Subscribe to DSC Newsletter

Hi!

I'm a student who has recently discovered his passion with data-mining and machine-learning and I'm deeply in love with it. I have to do my thesis degree in one year time and I would like to know which are the world top ranked universities about it. Also it would be interesting to know which are the countries with major bussinessess on analytics (maybe US, India, Singapore,...? ) or which one have great future on the topic.

I've been doing some research about it recently, but I don't find any conclusive answers. Thank you very much for your help!

Tags: university

Views: 4680

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you very much Tom for your response,  I'll keep that in mind.

Here are a few universities with strong data mining and machine learning units, but the list is far from complete:

* USA:

+ Carnegie Mellon University (CMU), Pittsburgh, PA, USA

+ Standford University, CA, USA

+ Cornell University, NY, USA

* Europe:

+ Artificial Intelligence Unit, Technical University of Dortmund, Dortmund, Germany

+ University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany

+ Institute of Technology, Blanchardstown, Dublin, Ireland

Thank you very much Ralf for the reply. Do you know if India has something for it? Or do you know where I can look for it? Thanks again for your help.
Wow! Thanks! I was looking for something like this!

Maybe I'll swoop in with an Asian perspective. I first confess that I will be plugging my alma mater in the process, and I come from the viewpoint of traditional, rigorous statistics training more than what is broadly and commonly regarded as 'analytics'. 

Internationally, Stanford certainly stands out as the powerhouse of statistics programs, with well-respected faculty like Hastie and Tibshirani providing the cutting edge. As an aside, you might be interested in the Statistical Learning and Data Mining short course that Hastie et al open to the public once every 6 months or so (independently of Stanford I believe, but do check). It runs for 2 days, and could give you a flavor.

You are probably right to identify India and Singapore as the hubs for analytics in Asia. The Singapore government has identified analytics as one of the key sources of growth, and as we speak, Deloitte is in the midst of setting up its first Data Analytics Institute outside of the US there. I'm certain we'll be seeing more such investment in the next few years.

The National University of Singapore is ranked very highly internationally for its statistics program. Though I must say that while it is excellent, it is clearly and significantly bent towards theory and research. You would have to find out more about how far its programs extend to analytics/machine learning areas.

Hope this helps.

Stanford has an online certificate in Data Mining that you can take (3 courses).  There are also a number of online type certificate/degree programs if you want convenience.  Check the list out at www.kdnuggets.com 

Personally, I think if you want the bschool/analytics experience the best program would be at NCSU, a Masters in Science in Analytics.  It's a relatively new program.  The founder of SAS attended NCSU, thus the program leverages a lot of SAS resources given to their students.  Keep us up to date on your journey! 

Thanks everybody for your advices!

RSS

On Data Science Central

© 2020   AnalyticBridge.com is a subsidiary and dedicated channel of Data Science Central LLC   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service