Compare those definitions:
"At an abstract level, the KDD field is concerned with the development of methods and techniques for making sense of data" ...
"Business analytics (BA) refers to the skills, technologies, applications and practices for continuous iterative exploration and investigation of past business performance to gain insight and drive business planning" (Beller, Barnet, 2009)
"KDD is iterative, interactive ... and nontrivial process of identifying valid, novel, potentially useful, and ultimately and understandable patterns in data" (Fayyad, Piatetsky-Shapiro, and Smyth 1996).
- oriented towards ad-hoc analysis of past performance
- focused on iterative and investigative analysis
- used to derive new insight and understanding
- explore unknown & discover new patterns
- relies on low level data to provide visibility to unexpected activity
These two concepts have so many common attributes. They have also the same common applications - marketing, finance, churn, retail, supply chain.
Is Business Analytics the Knowledge Discovery process applied in business domain?